OCEAN - Broadcast Manager
A VIKING LEADERSHIP ROLE
As a Viking Shipboard Leader, you represent Viking’s values and leadership philosophy (Hávamál). You are a hospitality professional who demonstrates passion for excellence, who takes ownership for your areas of responsibility, and who believes in empowering your team with the skills, knowledge and tools to succeed. You are an exceptional role model for the Viking Family and have strong motivation to achieve the company’s goals and objectives. You are flexible, stress resistant, focused, and a truly committed team member.
PURPOSE OF POSITION
- The Broadcast Manager ensures the smooth operation of the Broadcast Centre by overseeing that the radio and television broadcast equipment for all areas of the ship is set up, run and maintained, according to company policies and procedures.
- It is your responsibility to create a friendly, guest-oriented service culture to ensure guest satisfaction and repeat business, which in turn, will increase revenue and profitability of the company.
- Ensure the smooth running of the Broadcast Centre and to attend all show setups, show calls and meetings, unless otherwise requested; in conjunction with the Stage Manager, ensure that both the Broadcast and Stage Management Departments are supported.
- Set up and operate broadcast equipment for assigned shows and programming; maintain programming logs, as required; assist with the maintenance of all broadcast equipment.
- Adjust the fidelity, brightness and contrast of video transmissions, using video control consoles.
- Align antennas with dishes to ensure the clearest signal for transmission; monitor the reliability and adjust the clarity and strength of signals; switch input/output sources, as necessary.
- Assist with IT to ensure that all live TV signals are up-to-date and that the Owner’s Suite and Private Dining Room Tech are working properly; participate in special events by assisting with sound needs.
- Communicate in a clear, concise and timely manner with the Cruise Director and other departments.
- Demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot and provide information to resolves issues, accordingly.
- Maintain cleanliness and order in all video areas, in accordance with all Public Health and Safety Policies and Procedures; send Voyage Reports of any technical issues found in onboard venues and/or other areas that require attention, to the Cruise Director.
- Support Broadcast Managers from other ships, when they reach out for support.
- Supervise the Video Technician and delegate duties, accordingly.
- In conjunction with the Cruise Director, monitor the performance of the Video Technician.
- Provide the highest level of comfort and service to guests, as per Viking’s STAR Service Standards and all Public Health Policies.
- Lead and support a multi-cultural team, maximizing crew satisfaction, productivity and retention; participate in “The Daily Reunion” every day to understand your team’s operational needs and to ensure consistent adherence to Viking’s STAR Service Standards.
- Provide competent leadership to all direct reports. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to: Conducting performance reviews, including discipline as needed, ensuring Maritime Labor Convention (MLC) compliance and onboard training, succession planning, crew communication and recognition.
- Ensure you always wear the appropriate and task specific Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required for your duties onboard. Always use correct lifting techniques to prevent injuries.
- Uphold impeccable grooming standards within your team at all times by complying with Viking’s Image and Uniform Standards; ensure that company property is appropriately secured and protected, especially during rough weather conditions, in order to prevent unnecessary loss or damage.
- Become knowledgeable and ensure your team are knowledgeable about itinerary-related ports of call, shore excursions and shipboard activities such as events, entertainment and programs.
- Positively contribute to achieving/succeeding Entertainment KPI goals (quality & financial) for the Entertainment Department; have full knowledge about safety & security procedures and can operate in line with all Public Health, Environmental and Safety & Security Policies; participate in all training concerning onboard training, safety & security, fire prevention, evacuation exercises as required by the company.
- Perform additional duties, upon instruction from the Cruise Director and Assistant Cruise Director. This document describes the primary activities, duties and responsibilities of this position. Your manager or supervisor may assign additional duties and responsibilities to you.
- Proven experience with computer systems (both hardware and software) in which set-up and support of broadcasting have been applied, are required; shipboard experience is preferred.
- A Bachelor’s Degree focusing on technical theatre or broadcast, is preferred. Training and education in audio electronics will be considered, in lieu of a degree.
- It would be an advantage to have experience with Content Management Systems (CMS) and the following key equipment and software: AJA KiPro, Wowza Server, FileZilla, Cisco, Leightronix, Oppo Player, Christie Projector, Dolby Controller, Satellite Antenna Control Unit, AMX Control, BGM System, IPTV, Monit.
- Must have experience working with Apple Macs, as well as Apple Final Cut Pro and Compressor.
- Fluent in English - must be able to address any kind of information in an adequate manner with excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Must have experience in leading multi-cultural teams; flexible, stress resistant, committed team player; proactive problem-solving skills are required.
- Strong administration skills are preferred and must be proficient with PC based databases, spread sheets, and word processing systems.
- Guest-focused, service-oriented, positive personality, professional appearance and impeccable hygiene standards are required, with excellent knowledge of all Public Health and Safety Policies; team builder with exceptional work ethic, organizational and motivational skills and coaching abilities.
GUIDELINES AND REGULATIONS
- Implement Standard Operating Procedures & STAR Service Standards within the department.
- Ensure appropriate appearance and clothing according to the updated Grooming Standards.
- The company reserves the right to change/extend this job description if necessary, at any point of time during her/his employment.
Position: Broadcast Manager
Supervisor: Cruise Director
Direct reports: Video Technician(s)
Line Manager: Cruise Director
Gute Englischkenntnisse werden voraussgesetzt.
THE VIKING STORY
More than 20 years ago, Viking® set the standard for what river cruising should be, and today we are the leader that all others follow. In 2015, we took the same small ship, destination-focused experience to the seas and reinvented ocean cruising. Over the years Viking has won numerous ocean and river cruise line awards from Condé Nast Traveler, Cruise Critic, Travel + Leisure, Travel Weekly and more.
Viking is a strong and dynamic company—with a growing fleet of more than 80 river ships and seven ocean vessels cruising over 100 itineraries around the world.
JOIN THE VIKING FAMILY
If you have always dreamed of combining your love of travel with the ability to grow your career, consider a position at Viking. We are the world’s leading small ship cruise line, and there is tremendous potential to advance your career with us. As part of our crew, when your ship is docked at the many destinations we visit, you can explore ashore and refresh during your free time.
Additionally, with Viking’s award-winning service and thoughtfully curated onboard experiences, our guests are typically very satisfied. This, combined with Viking’s gratuity guidelines, means that you can expect to be well rewarded as an employee on board a Viking ship.